Tuesday, February 10, 2009

This is my "Veggi Bed" Blog

Well today after picking up my piles of dead growth from last summer that I had cleaned out of some of the garden beds, I decided I would start my veggie garden. I could not decide where to put the veggie garden since there is no area on my property that gets full day sun which is what vegetables really need to grow their best. After much thought I decided to put the veggie garden where I already had a garden, since it would not be ANOTHER garden to water and was not to far from the back of the house. This spot gets full morning sun but its shaded from the sun in the hottest part of the day. I thought this might do well for me since the bed is going to be mostly greens and some root vegetables. A good "salad" garden don cha know.



I needed to level this area since it has a pretty sharp slope.  I wish I had a picture of Ghetto Boy's face when he saw me with the level.  He told me I was doing it completely backwards and that I should have started with the lowest area and dug out the higher areas so that some of the pots would be sucken in the dirt.  Either way ha he admired my determination.  I don't even really know if the sand will hold but it seems to become cement-like when tamped down well and the inside of the pot wall will be filled with dirt.  You can see I eventually had to build up pretty high.









I got these planters from work (at cost) and I thought they would make a nice wall that I could also plant in. The pots will get all of the lettuces, greens and root vegetables. I think there will be 11 in all. Inside the potted area against the shed will be a Beetberry known as "Strawberry Spinach". The whole plant along with mild tasting berries are completely edible and it has a kind of sprawling habit, a sweet nutty flavored bush green bean called Fagiolino Dolico di Vento (cowpea). Its supposed to be good for small gardens and can be eaten raw or cooked as a grean bean or if picked at maturity the beans can be eaten as a dried bean in winter. In there somewhere will also be broccoli raab which will only grow in the cool weather so I might replace them with something else mid-summer, maybe a nice sweet banana pepper.

Here is a nice sweet banana pepper called "Ghetto Boy".  He cleans up nicely don't he.




bloggedy blog blog

2 comments:

Dawn Fine said...

Howdee...
I look forward to testing all the veggies if I am there when they are...
I am surprised and disappointed that you...being half of the half assed sisters...used a level....shocking...very shocking!

Tink said...

I would love to see you out there working the garden with your blood sweat and tears. Nice job sistah! Are you going to eat all those veggies or get yourself a nice veggie stand? Ghetto boy cleans up well..